Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Adhan is also a Lullaby

At four am this morning my eyes clicked open rather abruptly. I attempted falling back to sleep for about an hour and almost lost all hope until the adhan (or the call to prayer) came on over the loudspeaker. Not many people may think so, but it is actually fairly lulling. The tones are so flat they sound like a distant lonely call from afar which at 4:45 am when no one else is awake--is certainly something I can relate to.

Yesterday was day one of Orientation. We visited places around Greater Amman, like the Roman Ampitheatre, the Citadel, and ate some of the most delicious food at Jafra--including hummus!

The summation of the days trips made me conclude that Jordan is incredibly old. Like, really, really, really, old. We saw pieces of Hercules' fist and maybe a knee, which to me was mind-blowing. The Romans were just a hiccup in Amman's history.

(Sidenote: apparently I am not the only one awake in the hotel....a few people came by and say Sabaah-al-kher to me, followed by a 'good-morning')

I have yet to upload photos, I will get to it once I am done with orientation so I can finish those type of photos in one fell-swoop.

As for now, I am either going to try to take a shower to wake up, or go back to sleep for an hour or so before breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment