Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blondes and Trust

Good Afternoon!

Today's lesson is hair color and trust.



 <-- That is blonde.

I am not that blonde. But apparently I am blonde enough. My blonde-ness has its perks and its downsides.
For example, one downside to being blonde is you often get ripped off, hissed at (men hiss here instead of hooting or whistling, its real weird, I feel like I am stepping on angry snakes).

The perk, however is that sometimes people trust me more or are more helpful because they assume I am foreign. As the maintenance worker in the gym commented abruptly one day:
You are Christian? - her
Me?
Yes -her
Sort of, why?
You have blonde hair. -her
I have a Jordanian friend with blonde hair.
Yes, but not with your skin color. You are Christian and maybe American -her.
Okay...thanks.

Anyway, that's how it went. So I am apparently American. But the other day as I was buying an orange and a coffee, I only had 5JD. The man told me, it was "mish-mushkila" (or no problem), and that I could just pay him tomorrow.



Yes. Tomorrow.

Welcome to Jordan.



Anyway, I know this doesn't necessarily have to do with being blonde BUT there are other instances that people can tell that I am foreign based on my skin and hair, which is nice because they will give me easy directions to a restaurant, or welcome me, or occasionally tell me good places to eat. So, its got its ups and downs. This weekend hopefully I will update the blog with lots of photos, as I'm going to try to go to Madaba and Ma'in Hot Springs with some folk!

Hummus Spotting: I had the most delicious hummus and Baklowa (Baklava) in this restaurant that used to be a cave and then a mansion? It was incredible. Subtlety spicy, yet smooth and with an acid twist. Words don't do it justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment