Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Note on the Title

Hummus is a fantastic food. Though I suppose on some levels it really isn't a "food" since Americans generally use the term "food" as something you can eat without a third wheel. I imagine hummus is more appropriately categorized as a "spread" or a "dip" here in America.

In any case, hummus, humous, hommos, hamos, or however you would enjoy spelling this tasty mash of chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic, was born somewhere in the Middle East. The exact location is unknown, but because I am journeying to Jordan--the nation in the center of the Middle East--I figure it must have been born somewhere in the general vicinity (despite what some Syrian acquaintances of mine once claimed as their own creation in a diner at three am one night).

I expect that in Jordan I will meet various types of hummus. It is consumed almost everywhere in the world--or at least in Europe and America (I am unsure of the far East). Hummus seems like a primarily peaceful spread/food--most people aren't severely opposed to hummus--as die-hard carnivores might be greatly opposed to herb salad, and vegans are opposed to well--everything (just kidding, I know you folks eat apples). Hummus is fairly new and neutral to the noshing market here in America. I am not shy to admit that I have gotten around in terms of hummus. Some hard-working falafel restaurants in suburbia Connecticut, and loud Middle Eastern lunch/hookah spots in Brooklyn, NY have introduced me to some particularly lovely flavors of hummus. The end result here is that I do indeed expect to meet a variety of different and new hummus flavors while abroad.

My personal favorite hummus flavor is somewhere between spicy and roasted red pepper hummus. My hummus often comes in this format:


Though still delicious and convenient, I can't say I believe this is real hummus. It's fake, made in America stamped, NAFTA regulated, and scooped into plastic, nonrecycle-able containers by the thousands by a machine. Therefore--not real. I'm not sure what would qualify hummus' "real-ness" exactly, but I suppose that is one reason I am going abroad; to understand what it could be.

Now, to avoid confusion: I am not a hummus addict. Though I'm sure my boyfriend can attest to my love for hummus, I am not obsessed. This blog is not about hummus, but about my student travels in Amman, Jordan--meeting Jordanians, practicing my vulnerable Arabic, studying at a University, voyaging to Egypt, and hopefully consuming hummus--Real hummus.

Thanks for reading,

Gabby

2 comments:

  1. Dear Gaby;
    Happy New Year
    Thank you very much for sharing your beautifully designed blog. I really like the name “Real Hummus” It something very real that you are going to start experiencing when you arrive in Amman, Jordan. It is almost everywhere.
    One of the best and very less expensive places for a good hummus in Amman is AbuJbara restaurant. It has many branches around Amman. The famous one is located in the Gardens Street (very well known address), and the second Brand New location is on Almadinah Almonawara Street. You can’t miss this sign: To see the sign, please, click on the link below

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=54167714698&set=a.430874589698.234643.54167199698

    Another great place for Hummus is located in Downtown Amman. It is called “Abu Hashim” It is also famous of it’s stuffed falafel.
    Another great destination for Hummis is “Al-Kalha” restaurant. This one is located in Abdoun Circle, and couple other branches.
    I hope you enjoy your time in Amman, and please, do not hesitate to let me know if you have any question about your upcoming academic adventure--Yasir

    ReplyDelete