Saturday, April 30, 2011

3 Weeks to Go


April, 2011 is over today. 

In some ways, I really can’t believe it. In others, I am itching to get back to the States. As for my schedule, this weekend I cancelled plans to go camping after taking a peek in my wallet. The next week is our last two Arabic classes, then that weekend will be spent studying for the Final, buying presents, and prepping for my internship case-study. That week I will continue to write, go to Wadi Rum and camp under the stars, finally to Petra (inshallah), then more finals, end of classes…and then I leave to Israel! Four days later I move over to Sweden and then finally I go to the states June 2nd. Absurd.

In any case, the last few weekends I have spent hanging with my host family, around Amman, talking with actual Jordanian residents, and doing some self reflection in Aqaba. Here are some cute photos of my host familia…(during a commercial of “Ashqa Mumnu’a” (Forbidden Love—an arab favorite Turkish soap opera).

Lara, Baba and Mousa

Lara and Mousa

Aqaba was beautiful. Originally I booked this trip by myself, with the intention of figuring some things out in my life—among them was being assured I could travel by myself. However, when I got to the hostel, I realized there were 8 other CIEE students in the same hostel! Though, this didn’t bother me, I just continued on with my figuring.

Essentially I spent most of my days thinking, swimming, sunning, reading, snorkeling, and talking with some of the folk I met at the hostel.  Here are some photos of beautiful Aqaba.

Aqaba Beach at Sunset
And if you think that women here are liberated of clothing when they are at the beach in 90 degree weather…you are severely wrong (in some cases). When I went to swim, not only was I harassed by many of the shabaab (youth, men), but a big Muslim family parked their camp about a foot next to me. It was laughable, really. So typical Jordan: hijab, full coated women and big bellied men, with a huge umbrella, naked children, brewing tea and coffee on the beach. It smelled good, I’ll give you that.

Aqaba Public Beach; notice the clothing contrast...

As a last thought: here is how I know I have assimilated to Jordan.

One day, as I was walking down to Rainbow Street to meet for argelieh on a roof (yes, so fun)…these events happened all in 2-3 minutes of walking, one after the other.

First, a car stopped on the road, rolled down the window and the man (maybe 5 years older than me) demanded for my phone number. After I refused, told him I was married, told him I had three children, and told him I lived in Amman, he persisted. Eventually I told him to “piss-off” in Arabic, and with the help of a loud car horn behind him (since he was holding up traffic), he went on his way.

The Sheep Herd

Two or three steps later, I realized I was headed straight for a heard of sheep travelling upstream the hill I was walking down! As I attempted to move around the sheep and their Bedouin hearders (mind you this is about 50-60 sheep!) while simultaneously avoiding oncoming traffic and sheep droppings, another car full of young men passed by me shouting out their window: “Sex! Sex! Sex! Sex! Sex!” At this point I’m sure I stepped in sheep poop, stopped dead in my tracks, and as I neared the end of the heard of sheep, the Bedouin header says, “Ahalan Wasahalan Ala’ al-Urdoun” (Welcome to Jordan).


Yes. Welcome to Jordan three months and 1 week later indeed, dear Bedouin header.

1 comment:

  1. Very assimilated indeed. :)

    "SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX!" hahahahaha... Silly Jordanian men.

    ReplyDelete